Re: Sorcery in Kralorela

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:24:29 GMT

Dave Cake:
> Yes, I'm not sure that sorcery is particularly bad at all, by
> Darudist standards. Not good for spiritual advancement, but very practical.

Though as Peter very correctly says, it's not clear that it's a great candidate for 'magic for the masses', either.

> (while I know its frightfully gauche to mention such things, in RQ3
> sorcery and Kralorelan practices seemed very compatible.)

I come here neither to praise RQ3, nor to bury it... (Is it too early to speak of 'RQ3 diehards/grognards' yet?) But yes, that's partly what motivates my wondering. I'm not unhappy to say that this was a 'misunderstanding' of Kralori practice, but I'd like to determine what it was a (presumably more-or-less understandable) misunderstanding _of_. If I sound as if hedging here, that'd be because I am. I haven't made Greg's mind up on this topic. ;-)

> I think sorcery in Kralorela is quite likely. Frankly, there has to
> be some sort of simple practical magic for the general populace. Martial
> arts is hardly of general usefulness, and most mysticism seems rather
> impractical for the day to day.

Clearly. What I think _most_ people do is worship, though. The peasantry I'm sure do so quite unselfconsciously, just inserting the required emperor-worship into whatever their local tradition has 'always' been. For the 'middle classes', who subscribe to all the Imperial Blether, but who aren't able to be very advanced in their practice of the assorted Posh methods, there may be a tendency to either worship gods in a fairly cynical, or at least, detached manner, since they know it's not in any case the Correct thing to do.

> In any case, its a given that Kralorelan sorcerers, should they
> exist, delight in overlength fingernails and mustaches, and ornate silk
> robes, and extraordinary hats.

I'm not sure if they _delight_ in them: maybe it's just that union rules make them compulsory? ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.