Re: Yelmalio-ist Far Point

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:22:47 +0100

Alex:

>The sense of my 'particularly' was, in the context of my discussion
>with Nick, 'places in Sartar you're more likely to find Yelmalio clans,
>as distinct from Elmal clans, and as distinct from Yelmalians in
>Sun Dome, in the present day'.

Ah. OK.

>I wasn't suggesting it was in a numerical
>majority as a religion, for example, compared to 'Orlanth-worshipping
>Orlanthi', (I sincerely hope you're not warming up another neologism...)
>at least not necessarily. (John Hughes' problems notwithstanding.)

_Politically_, though, the Yelmalio 'religion' might be biggest.

Re: neologisms

I maintain that it's Bad that 'Orlanthi' denotes both cultural affiliation and religious affiliation. Considering that that means that 'Orlanthi Orlanthi' is a perfectly usable expression, i greatly prefer to call a member of an Orlanth-pantheon culture 'orlanthing' and a worshipper of Orlanth 'Orlanthi'.

And when you start mixing 'Orlanthi' with terms that refer to both culture and geography (like 'Sartarite' or Praxian') you end up with the potential for whole-sale confusion. Does 'praxian Orlanthi' refer to a) Orlanth-worshipping members of praxian culture or b) Orlanth-worshipping people in general in Prax , regardless of culture or c) members of Orlanth-pantheon culture in Prax or d) Orlanth-worshipping members of Orlanth-pantheon culture in Prax?