Latin grammar

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:02:07 -0600

>From: "Gian Gero" <giangero_at_hotmail.com>
>Subject: Contra johannem ughorum
>
>John Hughes wrote:
>"HOMO NON INTELLIGENDO FIT OMNIA"
>"It is in NOT understanding that Man creates his world"
>
>I am sorry, but your interpretation is uncorrect.
>The Latin statement means: "Everything has been created (by someone) even if
>man can't understand/know (reality)". "Homo" could be a vocative or a typo
>for "homine".
>Anyway: Man, according to this sentence, does not create anything. Simply,
>he can't wholly comprehend the world as it is.
>To this I agree.
>To your translation I say: ass-work!

        Sorry, Gian, but your translation doesn't work. 'Omnia' is accusative plural, not nominative singular. 'Fit' is 3rd person singular present tense. 'Homo', being nominitive singular, must be the subject of 'fit', but 'fit' means 'to be made or become', not 'to make'. So the best translation as I can see it is 'Man becomes all things by not understanding'.

        God, what am I doing? I get enough of Latin in my work! I don't need to do it in my recreation!

Andrew E. Larsen