Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #336

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:45:17 -0500

> Subject: Onslaught
> - -..as we Onslaught fans know, he'd actually *bite* the poor bugger to
death.

        It's not that I actually hate Overtkill, I mean Onslaught. It's that I dislike the 'poetic license' that describes him crossing a room, getting three aimed blows to the head, and getting back out of reach before anyone can see him and react. I prefer games where the combat rules mean something, rather than being thrown out for some personal power fantasy.

        IMG, he would have charged across the room, taken his first action as a divided attack against two foes, and his second action as an attack against the third foe. All of the foes would have had a parry chance, which should have saved their lives, unless he had very large Damage magics and STR enhancements already cast to overcome their parries and armor. Also, three head hits are highly improbable since the blows couldn't have been aimed. It's not that he couldn't have incapacitated or even killed them with one blow, it's just a personal cry for story balance and limits for heroic abilities.
> ------------------------------

> TTrotsky writes
> ><< > Q: Is it possible for a human and an elf to have a child? How
about
> >other races?
> I am obviously too innocent by half (or a secret munchkin) - My
> immediate interpretation of the first question being "Can I play a Half
> elf please?"....

        The only published half-elf case that I am aware of is Pavis, who is described as being born during the EWF when such unusual matings could happen (paraphrased). In the godtime such joinings were possible for the gods and demigods. Several hero-quests give examples of unusual matings... trolls seem to do this more than most... trying to break the 'curse of kin'.

        If a referee wanted to set the stage for a birth like Pavis', it should be possible, but the preparations might require things like draconic magic or the worship of Orlanth Dragonfriend. At the least there would be quests to rediscover or recreate the process. The child would need time to grow to adventuring age before becoming a player character, though with rich parents, this could be much younger than 15.
> ------------------------------

> If someone is impregnated with a larval broo, is there anyway to
> cure this condition? My first reaction to this question was that
Chalana
> healers would probably be able to do it, but then I realized that it
would
> probably kill the larva, which would violate their oath against killing.
> Any ideas on this? I'm toying around with the idea of having this
happen
> to one of my players, so I need to have a solution to it worked out.
> Andrew E. Larsen

        It should violate their oath to do it personally, but since it is chaos, they are permitted to let someone else do the killing.

        IMG a couple of weeks would have to pass so that the larva(e) is/are big enough to find by feeling around in the abdomen. A rather long incision is made with a sharp blade, the larva is removed, which damages internal organs, and healing magic is used to close the wounds. We rarely deal with common infections, but it would be very appropriate here.

        The abdominal damage should be able to kill someone with a low CON, but with heal 1 spells to stop the bleeding, it should be possible. Knowing someone is chaos infested is half the battle. The other half is surviving the surgery and the infection afterward. All IMO, Stancliff

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #340