On Winga

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:10:54 +0200

> Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 13:00:28 -0500
> From: "markmohrfield" <markmohrfield_at_zoomtown.com>
> Subject: Vinga
>
> >Why only women to worship Vinga?
>
> My guess is that its because she's specifically the goddess of allowing
> women to change their gender role, thus there's no reason for men to
> worship her.
>
> Mark Mohrfield

*trying to finally catch up with the pile of GD in my mailbox*

I found David Dunhams(?) view on Vinga in the "King of Dragon Pass" game to very clever, or at least to my liking.

In KoDP Vinga is the goddess of "female orlanthi", but she is also a pathfinder. Vinga is usually seen as a wonderer and traveller, and this seems to fit fairly well (even knowing that it's in the realm of Issaries) Actually there's no clash if one sees Issaries as the guardian of trade routs and caravans, and Vinga as the protector and guide of explorers and adventurers.

But, back to the beginning. I think people can get too stuck on the game mechanics of Rune Quest. I think orlanthi males worship Vinga by offering sacrifices to her and asking for her favor and protection when travelling to unknown territory.
  Aren't the Orlanthi supposed to be rather pantheonic? The fact that you happen to bee a follower of Orlanth the Stormy Father (an initiate of Orlanth) doesn't mean you don't sacrifice to Issaries for protection when leaving on a long journey.

As for mechanics (if necessary). I tend to think that a non-initiate sacrifising (wealth or parhaps an animal) to a god gains said god's attention and parhaps blessing on what ever he's trying to gain it for.

So if a non-Issaries-initiate sacrifices a sheep or some wealth to Issaries and asks protection on a journey, then Issaries watches after him on that journey like she/he was an initiate. The required sacrifise ofcourse varies, and isn't necessarily accepted, but at least in my campaign this goes on a lot.

hmm... I hope that wasn't too garbled.

        -Mikko 'Adept' Rintasaari

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"