Re: Orlanthi

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:28:12 -0800

Alex Ferguson opined

>And if we _were_ to seek to abolish a meaning of
>the term 'Orlanthi', then the sense of 'culturally Orlanthi' is
>the one I'd least like to say go, personally.

But that's the most confusing.

In fact, I believe Hero Wars is going to try to refer to the most commonly known Orlanth-worshipping culture as Heortling.

The Heortlings have significant cultural differences from the Ralian Orlanthi (of either East or North predilection) or the Fronelan Orlanthi. Or worse, the Umathelan storm worshippers. I think these differences may even be greatest at the time of the Hero Wars, since there hasn't been as much lozenge-spanning travel as in earlier Ages.

One major difference is how young people are initiated into adulthood. I believe funerary customs also differ.

Not to deny there are many similarities, not the least of which is they all worship Orlanth.