Re: Orlanthi

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:31:09 GMT

Me:
> >And if we _were_ to seek to abolish a meaning of
> >the term 'Orlanthi', then the sense of 'culturally Orlanthi' is
> >the one I'd least like to say go, personally.

David Dunham:
> In fact, I believe Hero Wars is going to try to refer to the most
> commonly known Orlanth-worshipping culture as Heortling.

Well, that would be fair enough, since that's what _that_ culture refers to itself as. (Well, with some messiness around the edges wherein some may prefer different tags like Alakoring, while others disagree, or whatever.) But it's not, as you go to say, an identical term to "Orlanthi", so where one really does mean "Orlanthi" in the broader sense, I repeat my gripes about neologisms.

> The Heortlings have significant cultural differences from the Ralian
> Orlanthi (of either East or North predilection)

You mean, the East Wilds and Vesmonstran tendencies? ;-)

(BTW, I'd consider "east Ralios" or "north Ralios" to be significantly less silly, in the admittedly unlikely event anyone cares.)

> One major difference is how young people are initiated into
> adulthood. I believe funerary customs also differ.

I'm woefully ignorant of such differences, so if you're in search of a 'straight-line' as a precursor to an exposition of such, then feel free to consider this such. <g>

Cheers,
Alex.