More Dwarf stuff

From: richc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 9:34:33 +0000

Michael Cule wrote:

<<Congratulations: you have just transferred PARANOIA to Glorantha.>>

Actually that had occurred to me. I only played Paranoia once and hated it because I found I couldn't suspend my disbelief - it all felt too much like a setting invented for its gaming and punning potential.

Anyway, the only scenario I played in was one where the PCs were sent out to crew a submarine and my currently (still after over a year) in development scenario for Glorantha is on a dwarf submarine is sent out to investigate problems at an underwater crystal mine.

Some more thoughts about what the dwarfs in general are doing:

What do the Gemborg dwarfs do with all the gems they mine? I'm guessing most of them get stockpiled against some long in the future plan to replace the emerald ceiling of the chamber of the Cosmic Court or re-jewel the throne of Yelm or whatever when the World Machine is fixed and the Spike reconstructed. Some of the lesser gems presumably get traded (when openhandist  factions are in the ascendant) to local non-dwarfs but what for? Special services rendered, construction materials needed but not available by mining? Plenty of scenario hooks there I guess.

Keith wrote:

<< Major conflict between Gold Production Schedulers and ' Think they know it all' Foremen.>>

Dwarf leadership comes from all castes right? Although the golds are, to some extent, the brains of the outfit (teachers storers of knowledge) they don't necessarily form the top stratum (Committee of Works?). Just checking I'm not reading something into you post that wasn't intended.

Diamond dwarfs being to some extent "brilliant boffins you wouldn't necessarily want making the day to day management decisions" I guess they may or may not be involved at that level. I like the idea that the commander of my submarine might be referred to as the "Manager" and his lieutenant as "Foreman".

Richard Crawley
"It is better to be savaged by a dog
than to be dogged by a savage"