Re: In a (Broo) Family Way

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 01:42:16 GMT

TTrotsky on me on CA abortions:
> << for them it's not just a matter of making a moral
> calculation of the greatest good for all parties, but observing the
> magico-legalistic nuances of their vow-geas.>>
>
> The geas only applies to sentient beings, IIRC.

Yup. Or to be more precise, a lesser prohibition applies to other life-forms. (That's according the cult write-up, at least; wouldn't be much surprised if this was merrily contradicted elsewhere...)

[sentience => soul, which happens when?]
> I'd guess that the Heortling answer is 'when the baby draws its first
> breath', which implies that abortion is not necessarily a problem for them,
> magically speaking.

That has a certain logic to it; I'm not sure I'd bet the farm on this, since these write-ups are written in such a mish-mash or RW and Gloranthan references it's hard to be sure which is meant, when, but it's a case to argue, at least...

Cheers,
Alex.