King of Dragon Pass

From: Luc Lavergne <Arkat_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 17:48:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

     It's been a long time since I posted anything here but I've always been watching in the dark, learning more and more about Glorantha. Last month, looking for old RPG books at my local game store I noticed the King of Dragon Pass box on the video games shelves. Feeling just like when I first bought RQ and Big Rubble at this same store, I bought the best source of Glorantha knowledge I ever had the opportunity to put my hands on.

     The level on which the game is set, on a local yet very political level, has clarified a lot for me about how life is (was?) in Dragon Pass. The fact you are constantly receiving hints from your clan ring members, each of those defined by their own vision of life, actually means you have access to the thoughts and ambitions of Orlanthi themselves. The way heroquesting is presented and played has given me a lot of insight on how to run a Heroquest. Myths descriptions and heroquests performances are linked in a way that rewards the careful reader of the gods secrets without relying on simple questions about the myth. There always seems to be more than a way out of a problem, more than one good answer to the questions you receive in the game.

     I couldn't resist telling you all how great this game is for a glorantha fan. If you are on this list and haven't played it yet, run to your local game store.

     Some things I want for KoDP 2 :

Persistent multiplayer games online, with a limited number of turns played each day.

Animation... I sure like the graphic design of the game, the illustrations are really beautiful and all, but everything is very static. I don't mind myself, this could be a text adventure and I would play it, but this is not very sexy for a normal video game customer. I know this could be something of a sacrilege in front of the current King of Dragon Pass look, but I would sure like to see 3d Uz attacking my warriors, battle magic strobing the screen with particles, heroic powers clashing their polygons together, the clouds, the rain, the thunder and the lightning.

A Hero Wars sourcebook based on King of Dragon Pass would be a great idea. I'm pretty sure even the game mechanics could easily be emulated with some form of dice or another.

Going back to the dark,

Luc Lavergne
NAD Centre www.nad.qc.ca
Neurovolt Studio www.neurovolt.com