Re : Malkioni philosophy

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:31:11 -0500 (EST)

>Peter :
>
>>> Are there Gloranthan philosophers who wrote like the
>>> greeks on these matters?
>
>> Yes.
>
>Who?

I don't think we have the names of very many historical malkioni thologians and philosophers. We have names for some God Learners, but information is sketchy.

>What meaningful differences are there between these
>and the greeks (or their philosophies, if you prefer)?

I think it shouldn't be very difficult to sketch out realistic looking philosophical schools within the broad umbrella of Malkionism. The tricky bit is constructing philosophical systems that agree and can justify/support the known sects of malkionism.

I believe Greg has a fair amount of unpublished material on western beliefs that are relevent to this. Tasters of it have come out at various conventions, including the western story of the creation, fragments of the Abiding Book and so on.

At the moment it's probably best to keep things sketchy and not ascribe specific precepts to specific churches.

For example I'm sure there are some malkioni who believe in Universal Hylemorphism, i.e. they believe that everything other than the IG is material except the IG, who is immaterial. Other malkioni will have beliefs similar to Thomas Aquinas, who believed that Angels for example are immaterial beings of pure intelect, but that they can manifest a material form temporarily to interact with the physical world. We know that malkioni are materialists, but there are materialists and Materialists. It's so much more fun to have dissention in the ranks.

Kabbalism is also a rich picking ground for malkioni metaphysics. Some kabbalistic and hermetic ideas about the nature of magical acts seem to have had a strong influence on Greg's descriptions of malkioni beliefs about sorcery. You can probably get a lot of mileage out of gloranthified theories about the prophet Malkion based on the kabbalistic figure of Adam Kadmon.

For an introduction to kabbalism :

        http://www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/nok/index.htm

Simon Hibbs