Yanafal

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:15:13 -0000

Theo wrote:

> I'm playing a Tarnilsite (Yanafali? whatever) in our current campaign,
> and a number of the Humakt characteristics didn't make much sense to
> me (such as the focus on Death as inviolate, for starters).

Sounds like you haven't seen the cult writeup in issue #17 of "Tales of the Reaching Moon" (still available from the Megacorp, Wizards Attic, etc.), which does away with all of that barbaric nonsense. (There *is* a general prohibition on mutilating the dead, thrown in for sound historic reasons and to give officers serving alongsite Char-Un, Tarshites etc. a few funny turns).

IMO, if you've met fanatical anti-undead Yanafali, they've picked up those attitudes from barbarian hero cult membership or somewhere else. It's not part of the core beliefs of the cult -- after all, the Lunar Army is rumoured to have a Vampire Legion.

> The feats for 'Leadership' seem slightly limited. Shouldn't there be a
> feat on the order of 'command soldier'?

In our cult writeup, lay members (all soldiers in the Lunar army) have a duty to obey the orders of their superior officers without question. And courts martial (the Curia Yanafali) are backed with Detect Lie rune spells. This isn't the same as "Command Soldier" magic, but is probably better for MGF, whether you're the officer or the soldier concerned.

The big leadership spell for Yanafali in RQ terms is Morale, and this works on all associate cult members. So the Yanafali officer of a hundred Granite Phalangites can cast a Morale spell that the whole unit will benefit from, even if he's the only Yanafali initiate around.

As Martin suggests: there are two kinds of officers, the ones who shout "Advance!" and the ones who shout "Follow me!" Yanafali tend to the latter; they embody Lunar heroism.

For more on the Lunar Way of War, pick up "Tarsh War".

Gary asks:

> Btw, who protects the Lismelder from Delecti then? =)

The cult of Indrodar Greydog, a local Humakti hero cult. More in Tales #18.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick