Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #380

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:43:36 EST

In a message dated 2/12/00 12:30:27 GMT Standard Time, owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com writes:

<< Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:24:49 -0500 (EST)  From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
 Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #379

> >And how great and powerful a "hero" was the anonymous archer who slew
> >Richard I, arguably one of the great heroes of England (in the mythic
sense)?

> He wasn't a 'hero', he was a follower. This is modeled quite well by HW.
> That would be the point of him being an anonymous archer.

 Who did he follow--quick, name the "hero"? Do so without looking it up, since any "hero" great enough to slaughter Richard Coeur de Leon would HAVE to be as famous as he! >>

      No, he wouldn't. Remember, you only become 'invulnerable' when you've got three masteries advantage over someone - a huge difference in skill levels. If it was a really lucky shot, the Islamic hero could have been a couple of masteries below (a really minor figure by comparison) or, if it was just moderately lucky, one mastery below (still a gap of around 75% in RQ terms, and really, do you call someone with a RQ skill of 75% 'as famous' as a person with 150%?).

     Yes, its true that in HW a really powerful individual can be invulnerable to mere plebs, and a god can be invulnerable to starting rune lords (assuming all other things are equal) but you have to bear in mind the *huge* difference in skills (broadly, a 200%+ gap in RQ terms) that has to exist before this effect becomes apparent.

     Anyway, I find it doubtful that Richard had quite as many magical defences as, say, Argrath is likely to.

Trotsky