Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #380

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:01:32 +1100

Theo scribeth:

> So, by that logic, what would a Yanafali be expected to do when
> confronted with a choice between exemplifying bravery, and pursuing a
> more tactical path? If it makes more sense to send in waves of
> hoplites before putting the officers at risk, would they consider that
> cowardly?... Indeed, this would seem to be one of the strengths of a
>> civilized army confronting a barbarian one (to use some loaded
>terms).

Actually it's not. Whilst in a civilised army there are officers (& indeed ORs) who are not involved in combat some-one has to shout "follow me". Currently thats the job of lieutenants & seems admirably suited to juniour Yanafali. This does not diminish their tactical role. Tactics is the employment of ones troops on the battlefield to best effect. That is most easily achieved if the juniour leaders are out there where they can be heard. NCOs may relay orders, dispose their troops to comply with same, & even lead in the absence of officers but if you have an officer who is not only trained but also religiously endowed to personally lead men ( how I could have used 'Morale' at times) get him out there doing his job. If he's killed have a back-up handy (SNCO) & replace him after battle. One of the true markers of the civilised army is that its parts are all replacable. This does not mean the officers must take foolhardy risks. You still plan to come out alive, its just that the men are more likely to believe this if you're there with them. The consequence of this is that they are much more likely to do it without the constant fear of mutiny that seems to have been part of those RW armies that tried the other way. Essentially the officer exemplifies bravery while pursuing the tactical path. It never "makes more sense" to send in waves of soldiers without their officers. Thats why Yanafal hands out Morale & other leadership type spells. It's the gig.

On another note, Harvar Tightfist & the Big Wind? Whence this movement? What have I missed by achieving gainful employment?

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc