Orlanth-Thanathar-Currency-Esrolia-Bidding

From: Ilav Topix <ilavtopix_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:09:02 GMT

Hi to everybody

>From: Peter Metcalfe
>Andrew Larsen:
> > 2) Thanatar's hatred of Lhankor Mhy stems from a battle in which
> >Lhankor Mhy advised another god on how to defeat Tien's vastly superior
> >army. Which god did LM advise?
>
>Nobody knows but Storm Bull, Humakt or Orlanth would not be implausible.

I would bet on Orlanth or Tada, but I prefer the second. Tien, severed in two, survived to his defeat.
I suppose the power of Orlanth or the definitive killing powers of Storm Bull (Vs Chaos) or Humakt (Vs undeath) would not have spared his demilife. Than Ulbar is still in the Wastelands, next to the Plateau of Statues. Is this a random place or does it hint at anything/one?

> > 3) If Orlanth was imprisoned after the fall of Whitewall, does
>that
> >mean he wasn't available for Divination, Divine Intervention, and
>powering
> >Rune magic?
>
>I don't think so. I could accept some slight diminishment in magics
>that increases as Orlanth's imprisonment continues.

I would guess further. If Orlanth is a major power, with animist/theist/sorcerous/mystic aspects, in WhiteWall the Lunars could have defeated his animist/theist aspect. This leaves to Orlanth (and Orlanthi, at least the less-traditional among them) the power of Sorcery (helpers from Seshnela or from the Ditali lands...) and of Mysticism (Giants and Draconic magic, as displayed by Argrath). D, DI and RM could still work for those who dare to appeal to Orlanth by his less known aspects: the effects would be much similar, at least, even if the label of this powers is no more theistic.

I would like to know the opinion of Greg on a matter like this.

>: another one for you: how much is a Lunar/Penny/Guilder worth?
>
>IMO and IMG I've nailed it down so that a silver coin is worth about
>50FMk, that is about 10$. This seems to make the most of the prices on the
>lists make sense. Also it fit's the pattern on terran history.

I like most the Koku japanese system: the base of ancient economy is the currency which enables one average peasant to maintain at minimum level his average family for an average day. In modern terms it depends on where and when you live and on what the economy of your country is based; then take a family of four members and calculate the daily salary needed to feed this group.
By this method: 1L = about 10 US$
So (I now realize) we agree on the same worth :-(

>I take the image of the Esrolian male soldier from the early armies of
>ancient Egypt. No armor but the large shield, and a spear and a dagger for
>weapons. Heavy infantry units can have armor of hippopotamus or crocodile
>hide and sturdier shields, made of the same, and parhaps maces or
>swords. Axes are reserved mostly to the Babeester Gori.

Egyptian? Because their leader is called Pharaoh? mmmmh...

I suggest you another parallel: ancient Crete. Naked women, fertility rites, axe symbols (probably misinterpreted by historians), oxen horns (probably the origin of the double axe legend) and a powerful agricultural and Trading civilization. Settled in a network of equally advanced civilizations (ancient greece, Troy region, balcanic kingdoms) like the Holy Country, threatened by the west (barbarians, Ditali) and by the East (Persian Empire, Lunars)...
Oh! Am I off-topic here?

>"rapiers" used in Minos, in their early Bronze age.
You are nearing my point, here.

> > It seems to me that the size of the bid, comparative to the remaining
> > action points, should affect the chance of success. This would repre-
>(...)

Am I wrong or you really fear that a bid/probabilistic approach could spoil the HW rules effectiveness?

IMHO, I think not: a soldier, a commander or any action man, in his choices, usually calculates his chances. It could not be a conscious calculation, but I think it's a much stocastic one. The one that high-level (or higher than me if you prefer) chess players use in their game. So I think that a stocastic rule for combat is an abstract but also a pretty accurate one.

Cheerio

Ilav