Literary Onslaught

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:44:32 EST

Loren:
<< For me the reason the Onslaught among the greydogs story seemed off was not  because of strike ranks, aimed attacks, and so on but because it mixed two  adventure genres. Onslaught is straight out of the Destroyer or some other  modern ninja slash kung-fu adventure story, while the Greydogs are out of an  icelandic saga, or at least a Robert E. Howard story. >>

I agree that genre mixing doesn't always work, although in this case it didn't jar with me too much, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make/defend. The story was criticised because it wasn't feasible within the RQ rules framework, which I didn't feel was a valid criticism. The History of the Lunar Empire doesn't fit within the RQ rules framework "Jannisor was hit in the left arm, but had suffiient armour points to ignore the blow, on SR 7 he counter attacked and so di the rest of his army..." but is a good story nonetheless.

Keith N