RE: Onslaught and genre busting

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:02:12 GMT

Loren Miller:
> Now I spose that Onslaught can do all these
> genre-defying things is because he has heroquested. I would just like to
> caution people not to let players in their versions of Glorantha heroquest
> for abilities that defy the genre in such an outrageous way.

Sounds like the opposite complaint to mine about Onslaught and HQing, almost. To me, the idea of a genre-busting HQ is bordering on a contradiction in terms: if it doesn't fit with the setting, as implict in the genre, what's it doing as a HQ? (OK, one of course can have a genre construction narrower than the notional world, it's true: all that stuff happens, but always off-stage.)

But at any rate: I submit that if the results of a HQ make no sense in terms of the characters-as-peoples' 'mundane' lives, then it's not an accurate representation of a HQ in Gloranthan terms, as well as Loren's point about the characters-as-characters in genre terms.

Cheers,
Alex.