Re: Own name dropping...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:36:07 GMT

D. Pearton:
> Oy, am I the only one who finds this a little off? Calm down Peter - none
> of this "One True Glorantha" stuff. I thought we were all a bit beyond
> name dropping here, especially if that name was our own.
>
> If this ITC debate is generating this much heat and so little light why
> don't you guys take it off-line for a while and come back with a synopsis.
> I for one think that Alex's compromise is eminantly sensible, and, most
> importantly, the most MGF.

I agree on both points. a) argumentum ad verecundium (the late lamented Gian would have been glad to see I bothered to check my Latin this time) "a la ego" is just sooooo un-cool, and b) who the feck is the Kralori Expert around here, anyhow? ;-) (Furthermore, if there's two things I can't stand, it's racists, and those bloody English...)

Though I hasten to add I'm not materially disagreeing with either combatent, and if you'll pardon my editorialising, they're finding only increasing incidental (to the original matter at hand, though interesting in themselves, ideally at a low temperature) things to disagree with each other on.

> Actually it seems as if we have a perfectly valid model for the ITC's - an
> everlasting circluar debate coupled with the latest Onslaught (sorry
> Martin ;) and HW flamefests. Can't quite figure out the mystic meaning
> though...

As a metaphor for Samsara (and Gloranthan analogues thereof), it seems pretty clear! Though extending the figure to Glorantha Nirvana seems more problematic. (Sounds a bit like achieving John Hughes State Four (TM), though.)

Cheers,
Alex.