one hundred words of solitude

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_ioxy.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:59:08 -0600

Nick wrote:
>'Zat the "f**ing hundred-word essay" system? If so, you're not alone...
>that's probably as effective a way of getting newbies into Glorantha as
>bundling a free copy of "Glorious ReAscent" with the rules would be.

36 words or 39, depending on how you count contractions. Well over a third of the way to 100 words.

As with Mike Cule, the one hundred word essay was my favorite rumor about the system. One hundred words are no challenge to write. If you write for two minutes you'll exceed a hundred words. How many other roleplaying games let you create a character in two minutes?

Besides, think of the marketing angle: "Hero Wars has received the stamp of approval of the National Council of Secondary English Teachers. At last, a roleplaying game that is actually good for you!"

Of course, we all know that roleplaying games are good for you anyway, especially if you start playing them as a socially inept adolescent male, but there's a chance this will change the meme.