Re: Holding Breath (and Blowing it)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:32:05 GMT

John Hughes' Other (not to be confused with 'the other John Hughes') writes:
> cc) The lack of worshippers and especially rune levels throughout Far Point
> has weakened the magic flux: normal transmission will be resumed as soon as
> enough kinder are born and initiated.

And in even more mundane terms, re-opening, re-building, or re-sanctifying all those temples that have been closed, destroyed, or desecrated. Although as per my earlier message, I don't think the fall of the city temples makes it impossible to worship and gain magic, generally, if it's _your_ temple that's just been nixed, this is rather a big deal. Sure, there are clan temples out in the sticks, but those belong to people you may have been feuding for centuries, or at least are exceedingly suspicuous of you Whitewaller city-folk (or whomever), etc. So as John says, in many ways the 'top down' question of whether Orlanth is imprisoned isn't the most crucial: rather, Orlanth, Orlanth, why have you forsaken _me_?

This sort of thing is an excellent argument for acting playing the dang game(s), btw. Much as I disapprove of 'Scholar-baiting' (though when the scholar is John, and not me, I don't mind quite so much!), getting down and dirty and into the 'microcosm' is something that's worth a lot of arguing about grand schemes and analogues and culturewide  generalisations. The macrocosm, that's just the other side of Jonstowns, isn't it?

Cheers,
Alex.