Re: Doctrine of the Empire 2

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:59:31 GMT

Martin L on companies (with particular ref. to cavalry, and with particularer ref to Char-Un units):
> Company - between 80 - 120 men depending on the type of unit.

I thought cav. companies were traditionally a fair bit smaller than this (over and above cav. regiments being 'smaller' in terms of numbers of men).

> It depends on the unit. For the Char-un, we can expect an irregular company
> strength, given that the units are based on clans from back home.

That would make sense; doubtless for the most part, the 'General Staff' is content to have them deploy [X] regiments, and let _them_ worry about internal organisation (or lack of same). ('The Lunar Way': Pragmatism masquerading as hippy-dippy tolerance, if you ask me...)

> The HQ will include the Tarnils liaison element

Ah yes, the YT Political Commissars... Only joking, put the 45mm Document Cannon Down! (Not to be confused with the Canon Cannon.)

> Imagine a phalanx in battle against the Orlanthi and as the phalanx announces
> itself, the enemy thanes hurl taunts that the heroic commander of the third
> TenTenth, did not behave correctly with the women of the last village the
> phalanx had marched through!

Ah yes, identification contests: funky. ("You're a little short to be an Imperial Trooper, aren't you?")

> By proving such behaviour (in HW, through an extended contest)

That's a bit like saying, 'in RQ, through a die roll', for all the specificity it gives us, mind.

Cheers,
Alex.