Re: HW

From: Eric Hansen <eric_at_chem.queensu.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:36:01 -0500

David Cake says:

> Sure. But you can't always pursue the little by little strategy to
> capitalise on your advantage

Why not?

> it makes for boring play.

No argument here.

> Besides, there are all sorts of variant strategies you can play with.
> HW can be a relatively tactically interesting game in the right hands.

All this is true. As I said before, simply playing the odds all the time is counter to the spirit of the game. OTOH, playing with variant (betting) strategies can have tragic results, as was demonstrated many times in my playtest group. I agree with Nick B. that knowing the odds, and betting appropriately, is a good starting point for success, cold and calculating as it may be.

Eric H.