HW

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:28:15 +0200

Roy Wiseman:
>Also when it comes to combat, a brief glance at hw-rules_at_egroups.com shows
>the immense number of problems players have found with AP interpretation,
>skirmishing before closing, ranks, edges, etc. (these are just some of the
>most recent and they are all quite basic situations and not advanced or
>tricky to interpret by any means annoyingly enough!).

 From my reading of same list, it seems that the problem lies not with the rules per se, but with people having trouble adjusting from simulationist combat to HW combat.

Granted, _that_ is in itself a Big Problem. Could be ameliorated by some paragraphs explaining how combat is designed to be handled in HW.

>combat seems to
>be over-simplified leaving considerable confusion for a large number of
>players.

This has more to do with the fact that the HW mechanics are mainly just a flexible resolution system; situational modifiers and tactical considerations should be factored in by the Narrator as suitable. The mechanics aren't meant to be played 'as is'. If you play HW contests only 'as is' you're in for an exercise on boredom.

Some may see this as a bug; i see it as a great feature.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #750