Alynxes

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:03:32 EST

Jeff Kyer:

<< > The RQ SIZ is 1-6; a pretty wide range. The largest alynxes are about
> lynx sized, but most are smaller. The murni breed are housecat sized (SIZ
1).

 This sounds interesting -- sadly, I have very little information up in my neck of the woods on any particular variations on Shadowcats or Yinkini or the like. The perils of living in the Great White North... Could you tell me more?>>

     You'll just have to wait for Anaxial's Record! Either that or trawl the Digest Archives to see what I said last time this cropped up ;-)

<< > Well, nobody said they *were* lynxes.

 Ah, good. That's the rub, innit? Problem with the name alynx is that one thinks 'ah, a lynx...'>>

     They're *like* lynxes, though. About as much as a bobcat is, anyway.

<< > <<This to me doesn't sound much like a bobcat, or even it's larger cousin the
> European lynx (biggest of the lynxes), since the poor lynx cats have lost
> their tails,>>
>
> Bobcat tails aren't so short, though.

 Comparatively speaking. Bobcats and Lynxes have fairly short tails (they are still better off than, say, a manx cat) and move with more deliberation than, say, a cougar. >>

     Undoubtedly; its all relative.

<< I would like to know what sort of hunting routines alynx's use -- the silver deer has been mentioned (but never caught till Odayla helped out). I think Yinkin's eyes are bigger than his stomach and most alynxes are probably too small to deal with sheep or larger prey...

     Certainly, they're intended to be more like a lynx than they like a cougar.

<< Probably. But they do differ from the RW lynx considerably -- certainly in dexterity. What about that cat they are finding on the moors in Scotland recently? If nothing else, they ARE hard to find... >>

      Another good 'IMG' model. IIRC, said cat is a recent feral hybrid of domestic cats and native wild cats, not a previously undiscovered species or anything. But, yeah, like all small wild cats, they're damn good at hiding! Small wild cats, incidentally, are found in many parts of Glorantha.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #431