Re: Alynxes

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 01:08:18 GMT

> Mikko Rintasaari:
>
> << The size of a bobcat?!? The SIZ indicated in the rules means something
> more like a large European lynx (25kg) and ranging to something like 40 kg.>>

TTrotsky_at_aol.com
> The RQ SIZ is 1-6; a pretty wide range. The largest alynxes are about
> lynx sized, but most are smaller. The murni breed are housecat sized (SIZ 1).

My arithmetic's more with Mikko on this one: a median-sized one is about the size of a large lynx; smaller ones are bobcat sized, or smaller, and larger ones are [terrestrial analogue error]-sized. All on the RQ numbers of course, which could have been 'mis-thought', of course.

On prey: Canadian lynx (famously) prey largely on pretty good-sized hares, so let's not think too much of Spot the Cat feeding on speugs and meeces, all. I've seen claims that large lynx can 'occassionally' kill deer, which is a little mind-boggling, but I know not for certain otherwise. (I assume newborn or distinctly scraggy specimens if so.) While I can't keep track of Glorantha deer without a programme these days, I reckon a large alynx would be able to kill a smallish deer if so inclined, and lamb would be pretty easy meat, really.

Our clan had a rumour that our semi-resident, semi-divine, somewhat outsize (and entirely nuisance-like) kitty-cat had killed an adult stag up on Silver Deer Ridge, which was eventually dismissed by Knowledgeable Sources not on the grounds that he couldn't have, but on the basis that it'd be too much like hard hard for the idle bag of fur...

Cheers,
Alex.