Re: Alynxes

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:09:20 EST

Alex:

<< On prey: Canadian lynx (famously) prey largely on pretty good-sized hares, so let's not think too much of Spot the Cat feeding on speugs and meeces, all. I've seen claims that large lynx can 'occasionally' kill deer, which is a little mind-boggling, but I know not for certain otherwise. (I assume new-born or distinctly scraggy specimens if so.)>>

      They quite often go for small deer which have got trapped in the snow or injured, or so I'm told. Which is perhaps less boggling.

      Perhaps a better analogy (of which Jeff Kyer reminded me) for the alynx is the caracal lynx, which has shorter fur than its American and European cousins and can also run faster. They're good at jumping, which seems suitably Orlanthi, and will leap up to six feet in the air to catch birds - one was even filmed catching a flying bird, then twisting its body in mid-air to catch a second one on the way back down! Caracals mostly eat birds, rodents, dikdik and baby antelopes, but they'll go for an impala if given half a chance.

     But, again, the alynx isn't strictly speaking any of these creatures, just something that looks rather similar.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky