Re: Hero Wars rule clarification

From: Jon Thorvaldson <yinkin_at_telia.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:05:50 +0100

From: Paul Aebersold <paul_at_unsw.edu.au>

>* Do Action Points (AP) return to their starting value every episode (ie
>adventure), or every scene (ie combat)?

Every scene.

>* Although it is never stated I have worked out (?) that in a contest each
>side bids a number of APs. This bidding of APs is done every "round" of a
>contest. Is this correct?

Yes. You and your opponent takes turns to bid.

>* If I have 24 APs to start with, bid 7, but am not forced to transfer or
>forfeit any are my APs next round :
> a) 24
> b) 17 (24 - 7)

alternative a)

>or to put another way are APs I bid lost by virtue to the fact that I have
>bid them?

You do not lose APs by bidding them.

>For the combat questions below I am assuming that combat is an Extended
>Contest.
>
>* In the Extended Contest results chart the outcome results are listed as
>1x, 2x, etc. Does this mean that if the table states that "Loser
>Transfers 2x" mean that the loser of the combat transfers 2 times the APs
>they bid, or 2 times the APs that their opponent bid?

That depends om who made the bid that round. If it's your turn to bid, and you lose the round with that result, then you would lose twice your bid.

>If the answer is 2 times the APs they bid, then why bid more than 1 AP?
>That way the most you can lose is 3 AP (ie if you fumble and your opponent
>crits). Or is there some other benefit of bidding a large number of APs?

Well, if you win and force your opponent to lose APs, then having bid a larger amount causes more loss for the opponent.

And yes, taking all this into account, if you know you're propably going to lose, you would want to make your bid low, going defensive, so as to minimize your losses.

>* Terminology question. In the chart under the Extend Contest result
>chart (which has no name, handy that ;)) it lists the Degree of Defeat
>depending on number of APs lost for "Ordinary" and "Heroic" contests.
>Are "ordinary" contests normal mortal man combats and "heroic" contests
>equivalent to Harrek vs The Bat?

Don't know, but that is probably it. I would believe that that part of the table is what you use when HeroQuesting.

>* Parting shots. I can make one if I reduce an opponent to under 0 APs.
>So what is a parting shot?

You can make another exchange, hoping to give your opponent a heavier penalty. But, if you should lose this exchange, and your opponent gains enough APs to go positive, he's back in business...

>* In combat, each side is trying to reduce the other to 0 APs. Does this
>mean that combat results (Dazed, Hurt, Injured, Dying) are only worked out
>once one side is below 0 APs and this is determined by looking at the
>Consequences Chart?

Yes.

Jon

'Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz.'

  -Newton's First Law of Motion, as explained by Calvin, in his own words.