Re: Hero Wars rule clarification

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:17:09 +0000

Just to add my couple of bolg - I'll try and clarify rather than just repeat...

>* Do Action Points (AP) return to their starting value every episode (ie
>adventure), or every scene (ie combat)?

They reset every scene, although, as has been pointed out a scene may be any number of related actions - so defeating the Broo in combat won't necessarily reset your points if it's pal is about to jump you from behind...

>If the answer is 2 times the APs they bid, then why bid more than 1 AP?
>That way the most you can lose is 3 AP (ie if you fumble and your opponent
>crits). Or is there some other benefit of bidding a large number of APs?

The bidding of points is (supposed to be) related to the actions you are taking, so again, in combat a bid of 1 AP is "I hide behind my shield, and tentatively jab my spear in his general direction" - you aren't exposing yourself to any great risk, but then you aren't likely to win the combat very quickly. A high bid might be the result of "Screaming my battle cry I leap in to the fray swinging my sword around my head in both hands, determined to knock him down, cleave him in two, or preferably both". If you succeed, it is going to hurt him, but if you fail, you are leaving yourself exposed to greater harm.

>* Parting shots. I can make one if I reduce an opponent to under 0 APs.
>So what is a parting shot?

I'll come back to this one in a minute....

>* In combat, each side is trying to reduce the other to 0 APs. Does this
>mean that combat results (Dazed, Hurt, Injured, Dying) are only worked out
>once one side is below 0 APs and this is determined by looking at the
>Consequences Chart? (Ignoring the fact that someone can injure
>themselves by trading APs lost for wounds).

Yes. This is probably one of the most obvious differences in HeroWars, In RQ, (and most other RPG's) you can be worn down by attrition as the damage you take, even in a successful fight, eventually makes it (even more) dangerous to fight again. HW is presenting a more "heroic" view - rather like in an action movie or "The A Team" the majority of the damage you take in a fight is "cosmetic" - your shirt is ripped, your hair is messed up, and maybe you have a small cut, but you don't usually need to say "Hang on guys, I'll sit this next fight out".

Of course this is why your Action Points might not reset at the end of the fight. Carving through the villains flunkeys does not leave you winded, but the struggle with his chief bodyguard might even if you beat him.

This is also the reason for you wanting to make a parting shot (or to put it another way, continue for another round after defeating your opponent). Since the size of the defeat, and thus the effect on your opponent are only determined once the contest is over, you might want to ensure your victory is a resounding one...

I hope this has made things clearer rather than leaving you more confused than before...
- --

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |