Western Heroquesting

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:39:10 +0800

<< Someone mentioned that Nick Brooke's examples of Western Heroquesting as  modelled by Arthurian Romances had been gregged. Is this true?>>

        I agree with Nick that even if it has, please use it if you like it more.

> Greg's current vision of the realm through which Malkioni heroquest is
>incompatible with Nick's, in that he sees this place as flat, featureless,
>and almost totally devoid of living inhabitants (the odd abstract concept may
>wander past, and its these the Malkioni 'heroquester' tries to control).

        Gregs visions in things like this are to be challenged if you don't like them. Certainly, don't assume that the Zzaburi heroquest experience is the same as the Loskalmi or Rokari, or even that all heroquest experiences within the same culture are anything like the same.

        Personally, sources I like to draw on for Western Heroquesting include Nicks Mallory ideas, sources of slightly more overt symbolism like Spensers Faerie Queene, and for the more esoteric sorcerous quests, Alchemical symbolism, allegory and art. James Branch Cabell gets a look in as well. Maybe even Dante for the otherworld.

>I would be happy to believe that grey and boring Malkioni have grey and
>boring encounters on a grey and boring hero plane. I doubt, however, that
>people will spend much time playing or writing about these experiences. I
>have only ever tried to write descriptions of what colourful chivalrous
>Malkioni heroquesters might encounter on the kind of interesting heroquests
>people would actually want to play or read about. I am profoundly sorry if
>this annoys lobbyists for a more grey and boring Glorantha.

	Loud cheering from my direction.
	Sorcery is rapidly proceeding to a caricature of itself. The pointy
hatted cataloguers who rote learn all their spells from a minimal number of approved texts who appear in HW are grey and dull. I've been reading a lot of Western tradition magical sources lately, and there is a lot of good inspiration there, not to mention all the sources above. Yet the version of sorcery that seems to have emerged seems lacking in inspiration extremely.
	Cheers
		David