Rathori

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 20:18:28 +1200

Martin Laurie:

> >>[The Rathori] are around 120km away from Harandash in Bindle.

> >On the wrong side of the Sweet Sea as I said before.

>And if you look at the map, you can see that the Rathorelan forest actually
>ends between the Grey mountains and the Sweet sea and is within 100km of
>Imperial turf on foot, no boats needed except to cross the Poralister river.

Except that this route is through of all places, Erigia, which you deny that the Rathori can travel in without getting killed.

> >I have said [the Rathori] avoid the battlefield
> >because it's a place where they get _killed_. Raiding is much
> >safer.

>Yes but raids go wrong which means they have to have had battles and they
>_would_ have leanrt something from them

Unless they get killed first. Because of the Rathori mindset, they would prefer to learn how to be better raiders.

>They would have had to come up with a way of at least
>minimising the damage when a raid group gets caught.

Just like the Zulus came up with a way of minimizing damage from British bullets? Just because there's a possible improvement does not mean that it will be taken.

> > I guess elves just blend in [when raiding Erigia]...

> >With what? If there's trees about, the Rathori can use them too.

>Exaclty my point. They elves don't blend in. I think elves raiding
>Eirigia is wrong and ill thought out.

Or there could quick easily be thickets and other rough terrain that the foot raiders can take advantage of.

Steve again:

> > Since I deny the Rathori muster in foot armies, this isn't
> > quite a fatal objection that it appears...

>Curiouser and curiouser. I can't imagine the Rathori being anything BUT
>foot troops?

Being a raider does not mean you do so as part of an _army_. - --Peter Metcalfe