Re: Quick escape yurts

From: Graham J Robinson <gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:52:43 +0100 (BST)

Oliver D. Bernuetz wrote :

>>Yurts are specifically designed to be quickly moved. In the real >world a
>>yurt and it contents can be packed and ready to move in well >under an
>>hour.
>
>So why are these raiders who have successfully eluded the horse patrols (no
>easy trick but doable) so that they can sneak up on a camp giving the people
>in the camp any time whatsoever to move before they launch their surprise
>attack? Misplaced sense of fair play? If they had been discovered already
>they'd have buggered off back to the bush where they came from OR they'd
>have died.

This kind of misses the point I was making. Peter keeps stating that Yurts take hours to pack up - this simply isn't true. They were developed to allow escape from mounted raiders - a bunch sneaking up on foot has almost no chance. Of course if the first you know of a raid is someone appearing in camp, this isn't going to help, but that wasn't the point.

You also missed the third possibility (and perhaps the most likely?) from the list - the raiders have been discovered, and don't know it, cos the look out has hightailed it back to camp to raise the alarm.

At the end of the day, the Char Un are used to being raided by neighbouring clans. They evolved Yurts to avoid attacks by mounted warriors - those who can't avoid raiders on foot are in real trouble. Of course, YGMV.

Graham

"We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on their way out."

        Decca Records