Re: Tarshite Characters

From: Malcolm Serabian <mserabian_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:56:33 -0400

Thanks Nick, Peter, and Joerg for your answers...

Some questions on Joerg's responses.

>> Looking at the old Dragon's Past article in DW it lists the
>> population of Tarsh as 20% Orlanthi, and 80% Lunar. Based on
>> the latest information does this still seem to be true?
>
> Basically yes, if you count worship of Ernalda and her assorted
> associates as either Orlanthi or Provincial Lunar.

Are you saying that the majority of Tarshites are Ernalda, earth sister worshippers on both the Orlanthi and Lunar sides?

>> What about the Tarsh Exiles? Do all of them worship Maran Gor
>> in some form, or is this group of rebels simply lead by the
>> Maran Gor worshippers?
>
> The best source for the Exiles still is Tarsh War. Yes, they do worship
> some form of Maran Gor - they worship Kero Fin. IMO Maran Gor is as much
> an aspect of Kero Fin as of the six earths among the Exiles.
>
> Maran Gor proper is worshipped as the demanding provider, and as the war
> goddess. There is one extreme group which is totally dedicated to Maran
> Gor, but that lifestyle wouldn't be able to support some 30000 people.
> There have to be more conventional Heortlings among the Exiles.

> IMO the extremist Maran Gor followers are part of a continuum among the
> Exiles. They all are closer to the sacrificial and bloody rites of Kero
> Fin than the Quivini. I suppose that they would be more likely to share
> the rites at Wild Temple in Beast Valley than the Quivini.

So are you saying that Kero Fin is the primary goddess of the Exiles with Maran Gor as secondary goddess, followed by Ernalda and the other earth goddesses followed by Orlanth and the rest of his pantheon as a far distant third?

What are the sacrificial and bloody rites of Kero Fin? I'd always thought of her as a mother/earth/mountain goddess.

>> How is the Feathered Horse Queen associated with the Maran Gor
>> temple?
>
> The original FHQ "quested deeply into the earth" and found the Esrolian
> pantheon there, which includes Maran Gor. Nick Brooke suggested a couple
> of thousands digests ago that the Esrolian Six Earths have placed the
> less pleasant aspects of the earth nearby but mostly outside of Esrolia.
> Necropolis lies on the Other Side, walled off by Vogarth Strongman's
> dam; Babeester Gor's Axe Hall sits atop Shadow Plateau, and Maran Gor's
> Shakers' Temple sits north of Wintertop Mountain. IMO the FHQ found or
> met the Esrolian Other Side and a special way to/through Kero Fin which
> Sorana Tor had brought to Arim.

So is Sorana Tor an incarnation/priestess of Kero Fin?

> The FHQ does not have any of the Earthquake or Earthblood magics of
> Maran Gor, but she seems to have the magic of the sacrificial king. She
> can sacrifice her son in a way strongly reminiscent of the Maran Gor or
> Kero Fin way.

Where does Kero Fin get these sacrificial powers? I guess I missed it! Do you have more info on Kero Fin myths that would help me.

> IMO Shaker's Temple is primarily and originally to Maran Gor, of the Six
> Earths, but it is associated to Kero Fin already by its position. In
> Dragon Pass, the way to the Deep Earth leads through Kero Fin.

What is the Deep Earth?

> During the EWF, the Shaker's Temple seems to have been a good place to
> approach the dragonewts. It still is special in offering an entrance to
> the dragonewt road network which otherwise can only be found in the
> dragonewt cities.

> Inside there ought to
> be a sizeable temple complex to Kero Fin and Maran Gor, but I don't
> expect it to be one of the Other Side sacred places like Shaker's
> Temple, Orlanth's birth cave, or the place where the prospective King of
> Dragon Pass goes in KoDP.

Are you saying that the temple complex on Kero Fin and the Shaker's Temple are in fact two separate places? One temple on in Glorantha one on the Other Side? Is the temple in Glorantha still called the Shaker's Temple, or is that name now reserved for the Other Side temple?

thanks again to all. Looking forward to Joerg's clarifications...

Malcolm