Fortunate Singularity

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:53:28 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/00 10:13:57PM, you write:

<<

 Let us take a look at FS for clues as to the Emperors origin after each Mask  is recognised and see why I want to clarify this:

 4/40 Takenegi was killed by Sheng

 4/51 Magnificus beats Sheng at Kitor but after near 11 years of abscence he  was doubted to be the Red Emperor, especially as much of his army was  Carmanian at first. They said he was the Son of the Moon but not the Red  Emperor as "five of his parts were not the same" I think this is a symptom  of his recreation with different Egi and rituals and the different Empire he  came to rule.>>

Surely '5 were parts not the same', indicates that he was not the same, and therefore not a singular entity. And one of those parts, presumably because it is also 'not the same' is his physical appearance. This makes me think that the body used/assimilated into this MoonSon was a different one. I also think it means that whenb Sheng killed Doskalos/Takenegi he destroyed the Doskalos part, amongst others.

<< 5/43 Artifex appears after Magnificus dies at Nights of Horror. He
 "reappeared the same year at Amuli (in Darjiin) during an otherwise  insignificant local Full Moon rite He went to Raibanth with his supporters  and witnesses. Doubt was vast among the DH nobility, who wanted to make  their own High Priest into the new Emperor." >>

I see no reason that this is a clear cut 'singular' entity being reincarnated but not a 'bloke from Amuli' who happened to recieve some sort of Mandate of the Moon envelope (and some of the parts of the Red Emperor)

<< Arfifex passed the Ten tests even though he had no major supporters and
was
 obviously disliked by some DHs. For someone who appeared at a ritual in a  small city (and had witnesses to the fact) he seems pretty darn tough to be  just a local lord making good. >>

Surely everywhere is local if you come from there? The Goddess herself came from a pretty way out East city of Torang in the middle of Not-Dara-Happa. Artifex history includes a year 'hunting through the seven worlds to find and rescue the souls of his loyal subjects'. This smacks of a historical half truth, or truth as told by the victors; before he does this the rest of the Empire isn't convinced of his identity. So he appears/declares he is emperor at a rite in Amuli, no one believes him, he is just a local lord. He spends a year rallying troops, getting spiritual support, allying assorted Egi, bribing senators, and whatever else a sneaky freeform player might have got up to.

 <<6/5 Voracius. We haven't anything on the moment of his return in FS.  Perhaps Greg will finish that bit and give us some more info.>>

But there is an implication that something nasty happened to Artifex and then this fat sleazeball, Voracious, turns up, gives tax incentives to some dodgy noble clan that he knows ("make me Emperor and I'll call of the Tax Demons for five years")

<< 6/12 Venerabilis "returned at a ceremony in Hargoth." Another appearance
at
 a small city.>>

Another guy with a mandate and some dodgy satrap's support. His nickname, to me, indicates that he was an old guy; why would the Emperor appear in an old body unless he just happened to be one? No need to envisage a Singular Emperor here. Indeed Artifex, Voracious and Venerabilis positively reek of being upwardly mobile humans.

<< 6/30 Robustus. We haven't anything on the nature of his return.>>

But he seems to be a ruthless bastard, a complete change from the generous social reformer who preceeded him. The graverobbing of gifts 'that he had planned anyway' seems like the action of a bullshitting oppurtunist to me.

<< 6/41. Celestinus "appeared abrupty in Ebon city, climbing out of the
sacred
 cave when it was empty, between rites." Ebon city is out in the Imperial  sticks on the other side of the Yolp mountains. His appearance seemed to  have few initial supporters and we don't really know how long it took for him
 to reestablish his rule, as he did fight "wild rebels who were conspiring to  resurrect Gbaji". Whatever that it.>>

Celestinus Terminal Debate system seems to be what is going on at the moment on the Digest. Perhaps the 'winner' will get to ask Arachne Solara? or maybe Time will tell.

<< 7/3 Militaris. "The Emperor appeared next as Militaris. Militaris came
from
 the city of Kedevi in Kostaddi and came to the world at a rite of the the  Three Brothers late in 7/3". Again, another appearance at a rite. Again a  small city out of the way of major players.>>

Again, not conclusive of singularity.

<< 7/15 Reclusus. No info on his return>>

 Again, not conclusive of singularity. Although his showy "I'm a big fiery thing" act to try to prove that he had a united identity seems like he doth protest too much. It was so much of a failure that he got 'bored with life' and flew away.

<< 7/28 Ignifer. No info on his return>>

 Again, not conclusive of singularity. The info on his return is tht he personally led groups of people through the capital to 'whip the false proxies out' which sounds to me like a succession crisis.

<< 7/36 Argenteus. No info on his return>>

<< So out of the Masks, Artifex, Venerabilis, Celestinus and Militaris all
 appeared at otherwise obscure rites in small cities and had no large initial  followings or rituals. There is no mention of past history, on the contrary,  the actual fact of his appearance seems to have been taken by many to be the  reason why he was worthy of support in the first place. Nor do we see any  serious wars of succession other than the Proxy war which was more about  removing their power than an issue of succession.>>

There is no mention of past history because it would not be appropriate in a history of the Red Emperor.

<< This is why I believe the Emperor to be singular. There is nothing in FS
 say he isn't and a fair bit of evidence to say he is.>>

There FS is a biased document, it *must* say that there is only one Red Emperor, because there can only be one True Red Emperor, like there can only be one President of the USA, but that doesn't stop there being other candidates.

General point on the debate:
I actually think it has been quite interesting so far, despite the unfortunate fact that it has annoyed several people. But I hope it has been constructive, and hope that, as a result, Martin will be able to at least make his 2000 words on the Red Emperor 'user friendly to the LoM version'.

Keith N