ArchExarch

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 23:25:09 +1000

G'day all,

ArchExarch

Peter:

>But the ArchExarch has been a serving soldier whereas his title
>implies that he should really be a dignified minister. Hence I
>think of the ArchExarch as a decorated general who has acquired
>so much prestige that they just had to make him ArchExarch.

I immediately think of Yuan Shih-kai, the general who gained highest honours under the Dowager Empress, and later became virtual dictator of China. In a sublime fit of hubris, he tried to make himself Emperor, was vociferously rejected in this by well, everyone, and very quickly died of loss of face and shame (1916). The decline and fall of the Manchus and the "interesting times" that followed are surely wonderful fodder for the Hero Wars. And we've already got ourselves that very interesting gardener in Kuchawn...

>Now because of his arrogance and dictatorial style, they are
>trying to push him Onwards and his authority has been declining
>for a few years.

In my short piece on the Mandarins of Kralorela I suggest that - based on the attitudes of RW Chinese Mandarins - it's the unpromising or badly connected candidates that are given the worst tasks, such as command rank in the armies and navies*. From there, such unconventional types who are ambitious yet misguided could certainly become warlords in the provinces: as Mandarins receive a portion of the people's worship, theirs could also be channelled from the troops they command, making them independently powerful. Meanwhile, Godunya is distracted with such rarified pursuits as his whoppper bridges...

Note, I think the army and navy has a command structure, but Mandarins are always slotted in at the top. A non-Mandarin general who gains too much independent power would be branded a rebel, perhaps romanticised by the populace as a Bandit King.

*I also give some other examples of positions that Mandarins would consider undesirable: the inspectorate of sanitation and effluence, the ministry of agrarian harmony, foreign embassies, etc. The full article is available on MOB's Glorantha Page <http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/mandarin.htm>.

SU? Nay, US!

James Frusetta's "SU? Nay, US!". Top stuff!

>This means we can all give the Dara Happans Southern redneck accents.
>"Y'all from outta the valleh, boy? We don't cotton to Orlanthay 'round
>these here parts." Clearly, the Dara Happan character in the Glorantha
>Movie should be Boss Hogg of Hazard County! Truly, a horrifying image
>worthy of the Lunars. ;)

My mate Rick Meints always plays Senators from Sylila as Col Sanders-ish Southern gents.

>MOB, you sure it was Belisarius that was part
>inspiriation for Count Julian, and not Bo & Luke Duke?

Don't think so, but down in the duchy of Hazzard (a torpid backwater in southernmost reaches of Sylila), I dare say there might be two outlawed young noblemen who look familiar!

Cheers,

MOB