Davids post

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 01:29:08 EDT

> I will add my disappointed voice to the many. I was rather hoping
>that Martin would respond to Nicks summary with 'no, not what I meant at
>all'. Martin seems to be promoting a view that
>a) sidelines what we do know of the Succession (the role of the Egi, etc)

The role of the Egi is to support the Emperor. They help rebuild him. That is pretty important in any model you chose to follow.

>b) fails to explain most of the major questions surrounding the succession
>at all, like why does the Emperors personality change, what exactly do
>those who assassinate him hope to get out of it, etc

I think his personality changes like his mother changed throughout her life. He is tantric and experimental. He tries new forms and the way the Empire influences him affects the form he takes. He is influenced by the Empire and the Empire is influenced by him.

As for killing him, I think that the Emperor acts differently and is often away for some time when killed. Those who kill him hope to use that time to achieve some result or win some prize while he is gone. Perhaps wipe out other nobles, perhaps kill an Egi or two and replace them, perhaps something else. Conspiracy theories abound for this one.

>c) manages to make a boring routine out of the most important event in the
>society of some of the most interesting people in Glorantha.

It isn't boring for the Gloranthans. To the Imperial citizen, his death and return is a time of great concern and stress. What happens if he doesn't come back? What happens if he is warlike or hates nobles this time? Who knows? His nature is chaotic in part, as is his mother, Rufelza.

>d) seems to be largely based on a completely literal reading of a very
>obvious piece of propaganda.

While other views are interpretative readings of the same piece of "propaganda".

>e) seems to find most of what we do know of Lunar metaphysics to be an
>irrelevency to be thrown away where it doesn't agree with said propoganda.

Which bits of Lunar metaphyics are you referring to?

Martin Laurie