Re: Sacred Cows, fan publications, and other things

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.ntnu.no>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:52:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 9 May 2000, The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> RULES OF THE ROAD
>
> 1. Do not include large sections of a message in your reply. Especially
> not to add "Yeah, I agree" or "No, I disagree." Or be excoriated.
> If someone writes something good and you want to say "good show"
> please do. But don't include the whole message you praise.

I think I'll chance it....

> Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 05:46:43 -0400
> From: "Meints, Richard (R.J.)" <rmeints_at_ford.com>
> Subject: Sacred Cows, fan publications, and other things
>
> The conversation between Yelmgatha and the Red Emperor
> summed up my feelings on the whole RE debate within its
> few short paragraphs. "Change is good" AND "some of the old
> ways should be kept". If the rest of the book wasn't full of 5 syllable
> names and odd references I might have learned even more.

Good show! This is the most sensible post on the digest in a long time.

I'm a gamer. As a gamer I treat all publications based on how suitable they are for my games. I was playing in Sun County when I got my copy of King of Sartar. It didn't even break my stride. No way I was going to scrap the way cool Sun County setting based on a couple of pages in a none-game book. You see, as a gamer I see no difference between materials produced by Greg, MOB, Nick Brook, Martin Laurie (I for one has always enjoyd the Onslaught stories), David Hall et al. Canon or not it get used based on its own merits.

On the other hand I would like to agree with Martin Laurie that generally acceptet glorantha may not be as generally accepted as people seem to think. Since I'm primarily a table top gamer any arguments based on a LARP will be met with a blank stare. It may be generally accepted by those who play them, but not by me. Now this does not mean that I disagree with RMM point of view (from what I have read here or in Tales), it only means that I haven't decided yet. I want to see what SGU is like before I decide. Maybe I'll find a middle way?

> I wonder if many of the GAG things that will get changed for Hero Wars
> will suffer that fate because it is deemed easier to write a new
> version than it is to sift through all the great stuff scattered over
> the net, in fan publications (many of which are out of print), and
> here on the daily.

And one would think that if its a problem for the publishers, it sure would seem likely that it might be a problem for new and not-old players?

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen