Who owns Glorantha?

From: Meints, Richard (R.J.) <"Meints,>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:05:16 -0400

Neil, the man without a surname, asks: "Who owns Glorantha?" More specifically "Is it Greg's Glorantha?" and "Should it be?"

Seriously though, the situation is surprisingly simple:

Secondly, Issaries does not, at present, have plans to prevent any fan from publishing their own Hero Wars material as long as it follows a few simple guidelines.
http://www.glorantha.com/online-policy.html

Neil then moves on to "Generally Accepted Glorantha" and the lack of a "one true way" as being strengths of Glorantha...

There are only a few hundred gloranthaphiles in the whole world. I call someone a gloranthaphile when Glorantha matters far more than the game system used (or lack thereof).

Glorantha's popularity began to die when many of the supplements Avalon Hill published were crap. (be it for art, layout, or content)

When Avalon Hill stopped publishing, Glorantha was dead as far as 95% of the RQ game population was concerned.

"Generally accepted Glorantha" means different things to different people and it mainly exists only on the Daily.

The lack of a "one-true-way" frustrates a greater number of players than the number of Gloranthaphiles it pleases.

Fan efforts (hurrah) keep a game from totally dying, nothing more.

Issaries Inc. publications are what can really grow the audience.

As a side note:
I have never found any "one true way" material limiting. I don't feel that most people would. Play the game as you want to play it. Was anyone seriously set back by having Balazar become a blank land when Griffin Island came out? I just ignored it and kept on using Griffin Mountain, like many other people did.

Neil goes on to use a cliche I am beginning to loathe...

More likely: There is the danger that a couple of dozen people may get seriously angry when their personal work is contradicted or ignored in future Issaries Inc. publications.

Most new players will neither know nor care. Sorry if that bothers you.

Neil says the rich setting of Glorantha is its greatest strength...

Lastly, to sum up the situation as I see it:

There has been one unfortunate outcome from the advent of Hero Wars that has occupied a large amount of bandwidth on the Glorantha Daily:

Getting ignored or contradicted doesn't sit well with them. They feel that what they have done and/or what they want to do in the future doesn't fit into the plans of Issaries Inc.

I feel qualified to say this because I am honoured to number them amongst my best friends.

Rick