conversion

From: Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:07:35 +0200

David Dunham:
>When I converted from RQ2 to RQ3, I discovered my character had lost
>many abilities. I think the same would be true switching to Hero
>Wars. The *character* would be the same, but she wouldn't play the
>same way. And we're talking about playing, not writing stories.

I wasn't talking about writing stories either, but in Role-playing games our play makes stories. When role-playing you are involved in stories, with characters. You don't even need to have a character sheet, or even rules. When I converted from RQ2 to RQ3 mine also lost abilities, or rather, those were no longer listed or were subsumed under other abilities. They also gained a few. But this is just talking about the numbers and words on the character sheet, and not about the character. I can see the characters. I know something of their personalities. If I'm playing a computer game about ancient battles then I'll play a particular army somewhat differently than I'd play the same army while playing the boardgame version, even tho they're simulating the same thing on the same scale. If I'm Role-playing then I'm trying to bring out the character rather than use the factors on the army counters. The numbers on the character sheet are just there to aid play. Daniel