Re: CA Quests

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_celtic-webs.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:28:37 -0700

Hello All,

  As Andrew said, CA is Life and Harmony. I think that she could do quests where she creates life or saves it from destruction.

  An idea that I included in our draft Erissa Cult - and anything that Erissa does CA can do - was that she hung out in Yelm's throneroom and argued against Shargash everytime he wanted to kill something. She then tried to heal Shargash's anger and his hate but failed. Shargash (anger incarnate) laughed at her and took her to his realm to show her the other side of violence. Erissa was so horrified that she never returned to Alkoth and none of her followers will enter to this day.

  So CA quests can involve more than healing. They can throw themselves infront of a warlord and concinve him not to sack the city, they can share their love with the hated and bring joy to the torturer. I think that her most important quests would be healing the spirit, not the body, settling feuds etc etc.

The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:31:51 -0500
> From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
> Subject: Chalana Arroy heroquests
>
> Does anybody out there have any ideas about how to run a CA heroquest?
> It seems to me that the question is sort of messy from a game standpoint
> (apart from the general lack of suitable myths for her) for a variety of
> reasons
> 1) What sort of conflict or test can you offer a CA in this situation
> which don't simply involve healing something? One could conjure any number
> of heroquests wherein something like this happens:
> GM: You seea man lying on the ground, bleeding profusely from a horrible
> wound.
> CA: I go over and heal him.
> GM: Okay. That was exciting. Next station.
>
> Obviously, the challenge is to figure out obstacles to performing
> healing, or situations where healing is not the solution. But apart from
> healing, CA doesn't seem to do much. Yes, she's a goddess of Life and
> Harmony, but in her case, these principles seem mostly expressed as healing.
>
> 2) CAs have no combat abilities, except perhaps the odd Parry or such.
> How do you put them into situations that involve some real danger and
> tension without completely overwhelming and slaughtering them? I suppose
> you could allow some Orlanthi warriors to come along on the hq, but somehow
> I doubt that CA heroquests would work well if there was a lot of slaughter
> occurring around her (although the LBQ seems to be an exception to that).

In HW terms I would still allow them to have Close Combat but their only feat would be dodge. If they won the fight then they just bobbed around the battle field until the big guy with the sword fell over from exhaustion.

> 3) How do you make it interesting for the non-CA's in the gaming group
> to at least watch, if not participate in. One could ask other players to
> play NPCS during the quest scenario, but I suspect that it would wear thin
> quickly if it wasn't done well.

Have them protect CA from those who would not be healed. A horde of chaos monsters surges out of the dark and the only thing that lets the goddess continue on her mission are her companion's quick swords - she would hate the violence and the slaughter and cry about the death but she would still be alive.

> This last point is a general problem with heroquests, so far as I see.
> If the quest is written broadly enough that anyone can participate, what
> makes it special to a particular cult? One could allow the questing deity
> unspecified companions (such as in my 'Lankhor Mhy finds the Torch of Truth'
> quest), but doing that too much feels like a cop-out. One could write a
> quest that has roles for several questors of different deities, but
> honestly, how many myths are going to have room for Orlanth, Issaries, CA,
> LM, and Eurmal, apart from the LBQ? Slapping them all together regularly
> undermines the uniqueness of the LBQ. And what if your group is a little
> more mixed--how many myths are there going to be for Yelorna, Humakt,
> Donadar, and CA (as one of my old campaigns had)? If the hq is only run for

In this example Yelorna and Donandar could be known to the Questors as Thunder Brothers protecting CA while she follows Humakt on a quest. Or the TB and Huamkt are protecting CA on her quest. etc etc etc

In our Gwandor Saga we have Yinkin, Orlanth Thunderous, Vingkot, Hedkoranth, Humakt and Orlanth Dragonfriend as regular players. Most of our quests were "Vingkot does..." and he was accompanied by the Thunder Brothers and Humakt. Yinkin was a TB, the player for OT took the roll of a TB who wielded storm powers. Hedkoranth was a TB and the OD player took the roll of a Draconic TB and Humakt was along for a good fight.

Fit the characters in where it makes sense, the Yelornan could be a warrior woman from the distant lands of Prax who has come to fight with the Swordman (Humakt) against a common foe. Or the Yelornan could take the place of Vinga in the quest, as long as Vinga does not need to use any of her proprietary magic she would be okay.

> 1 or 2 characters, the other players get to sit around and watch, which
> isn't great planning. I've been going around in circles on this one for a
> while, and still haven't come up with any real solutions. Any ideas out
> there?

HOpe this helps some. :-)

Wesley

www.bvcompuworks.com/wesley