Ecsatic worhsip vs Sacrifice

From: Groovydood <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:27:48 -0400

> Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:08:22 -0700
> From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
> Subject: Re: KoDP Map; the Other Side
>
> Mark Leymaster asked
>
> > Is there any chance the KoDP map will appear in poster form, as a
> > promotional item that folks might be willing to buy (Issaries
> > willing)?
>
> Mark, I think you did the research on small color printing runs, and
> it's not that cheap.
>
> I think I could get decent rates if you could live with an 8.5*11
> inch reproduction.
>

> Michael Cule
>
> > More I think about it the more the rigid division of the Other Side into
> > Sorcery, God and Spirit Planes seems silly or just a human construct.
>
> I agree. I think the God Learners were right, and that Urox and Storm
> Bull are in fact the same entity. (We know Kyger Litor can be
> worshipped several ways, why not Storm Bull?)

Perhaps a better way to view the God, Sorcery and Spirit worlds are modes of consciousness which, for game play, have been easily divided into the God/Sorcery/Spirit worlds. Certain entities, like Rufleza/Natha and Storm Bull, straddle these worlds. My feeling is that these worlds are not so much God Learner constructs as *human* and other sentient constructs, and each world has a different psychic vibe or feel that makes it more or less accessible to certain mindsets.

It's all one world, but can only be comprehended by due to cultural background/mindset/so forth. I put forth that the the RuneQuest sight of the God Learners was the ability to see these worlds with a naked, objective and unprejudiced eye. I also put forth that the Lunar Way is seeing all of these worlds from a totally immersed, *subjective* point of view.

We are all of us!

> It's true there are rules for Misapplied Worship, and I don't think
> these are necessarily invalid per se, but I think it would be
> possible to transcend this. Note how sacrifice to a great spirit is
> almost considered OK. Great spirits verge into being gods in my
> opinion -- and they are often presented as such by outsiders (e.g.
> all the spirits of the Grazers).

This also brings up another point... I would propose that Urox worshippers gain
the benefits of both Sacrificial and Ecstatic worship. Waha and Eiritha, IMO, involve the same, since in the source material they all have temples, priesthoods and heirarchies. Perhaps an RQism, but I'd prefer not to change what has been presented. Surprisingly, I'd put the Waha chieftains more into the role of priests, as they would most likely lead the tribal communal worship, and have the Shamans of Waha be more traditional Shamans, who make use of spirit fetishes, integration and the like. I would have most Eiritha worship take place with the Theistic model, since the source material hasn't struck me that the Herd Priestesses are lone Shamans who interpret the Spirit World.

The Storm Bull Berserks, would, IMO, be both, in both Dragon Pass and in Prax. This is another reason that good Orlanthi would shun the followers of Urox since they are apt to drunken rages, wild drumming and dancing, ingesting of strange hallucinogenic herbs and mushrooms, and much screaming and breaking things, in preparation to smite Chaos in the name of the Bull. Have the Storm Bulls of Prax and the Uroxi of Sartar recognize each other as brothers, and sit (and dance!) at each other's fires, and generally scare Orlanthi/Praxians the way that Shargashi scare other Dara Happans. THIS, IMO, would be very MGF.

Hm... What happens what Uroxi and Shargashi get together in the same room?

Chris Bell

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #663