Re: KoDP Map

From: Mark Leymaster <MarcPolo_at_Ziplink.Net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:32:47 -0400

Hello all,

David reminded me that short runs of decent quality color maps is expensive, and guessed it might pay at 8.5"x11" format. My last effort on that scale was 40% ink on 100 lb. (heavy cover) paper, and it cost just under $1/page in runs of 50 _after_ I got the colors to match. I'd bet 90% coverage in a run of 100+ could be cheaper per page, if 24 lb. paper were used in a color-laser printer (assuming color matching was not required). I wonder if shipping and handling might actually be a bigger cost than reproducing the image.

Still I'd support even that paper size, though I'd like the next larger size of 11"x17" even if it had to be pieced from the smaller pages. If a master image was in vector (Illustrator) not bitmap (Photoshop) format, it could be rescaled for those who'd pay for postersized  images, say 17 x 22 or larger, at a higher price.

More exciting would be to map it in GIS format, so that it could be revised and scaled and (someday) integrated with other maps. There's a nifty shareware product at www.agismap.com for example.

What would it take to move this project forward, David? I'd cheerfully pay for a test print of a poster sized map, if you need an order to get this started.

Mark Leymaster