Re: Everway cards for Glorantha

From: David Millians <drakon_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:56:20 -0500

>Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:33:15 +0800
>From: "Russell Hoyle" <rsimonh_at_iinet.net.au>
>Subject: RE: Everway cards for Glorantha
>
>Michael, how do you mean the Lunars were included in the suits?
>Surely you used Storm-Air/Sky-Fire/Earth/Sea/Darkness ?? Or was it that each
>suit had a card from each pantheon (now I'm getting confused)?
>
>While I recognise that various of these suits might be excluded by different
>peoples, I wanted the *most* generic (within Glorantha) set I could find.
>Your deck actually sounds more like a SAGA deck....how were the suit-cards
>numbered? Did they have unique illustrations and characteristic flaws and
>virtues or was that only the trumps?
>
>My aim is to use the fate deck in a similar manner to Everway, and instead
>of having elemental characteristics (which I like *for* Everway), to use the
>abilities and keywords of HeroWars (but no dice). I seem to have something
>about 1d20 and lowest roll is best, but thats a whole separate issue.
>
>Ciao
>Rusty
>
>------------------------------
>

>Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:11:22 +0100
>From: Neil Smith <neil_at_wimp.freeuk.com>
>Subject: Gloranthan Everway
>
>I don't think it will be possible to produce a 'generic' Everway fortune
>deck, as each culture will describe the world in different ways. Frex,
>would the 'Orlanth' card signify individuality
>(self-confidence/arrogance), trickery (cleverness/random activity), or
>rebellion (destruction/questioning authority)? Depends on who you ask
>(Orlanthi, Praxian, Lunar).
>
>Instead, I think you'd need one set of elements and cards for each
>culture. I've done some thinking on elements for Prax, but haven't got
>very far on developing a Fortune deck.
>
>Neil.

        I run a game set in Aggar, at least originally. I liked the ideas and creativity within the Everway when I first saw it years ago. Drawing on that, the Glorantha runes, insights by John Hughes, and ideas from other games like the card deck in TORG, I made a set of rune stones for our game. Odo, an important gothu, casts most newborns' fate with a set, so we often refer them to Odo's rune stones, for I've always assumed that the next clan over as a somewhat different set. In fact the sets evolve over time, so within Aggar at least I think there's lots of variation. I see each cultural area of Glorantha having its own methods and applications of divination and varied views on fate.

        There are about eighty rune stones, and they resemble some of the God Learner set, but they do vary in form and in name and have loads of associations. The players use them to literally cast fortunes or make decisions in the game, and each player holds several at a time to use to help, hinder, or expand the action of the story. They sometimes resemble the various hero point systems, and more often they create events or more stories.

        I made the stones from small tiles, purchased at a local art or hardware store.

        David
- --
David Millians

Games & Education - Game Manufacturers Association (GAMA) Paideia School, 1509 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta, Georgia 30307 USA 404-377-3491
drakon_at_mindspring.com