Re: Gloranthan Everway

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:07:30 +0100 (BST)

Russell Hoyle on a Gloranthan Everway:
> I thought a god on each card, with a positive meaning (traits seen as
> 'worthy' by the follower of the god) and a reversed or negative meaning (a
> common criticism of the god or cult in question, as used by outsiders).
>
> Eg Yelm: Virtue=Authority Flaw=Tyrrany (or something like it)

Flaw? Why, Tyranny in the pursuit of Justice is no vice, didn't you know? ;-) Granted it does very much fit in with your characterisation, though it may not always be so clear which 'outside' perspective is the most appropriate.

> Now, the thing Im not sure about is HOW MANY and WHICH gods to use (I want
> the deck to be as generally aplicable to Glorantha as possible), and also
> some opinions as to the relative virtues and flaws of said gods.

If you want it to be as 'generic' as possible, then Mike Cule's 'rune tarot' approach may indeed be the best. Myself, I'd prefer a much more aculturated solution: say, an Orlanthi deck, based on Orlanthi perceptions.

Cheers,
Alex.