Hero Wars - Initiate vs Devotee?

From: Groovydood <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:14:49 -0400

I have 15 or so years of waiting in my hands. As I read, so far, so good.

But... A rules question.

By default, most characters will be Initiates (similar to the old RQ2/3 practice.) Now, the Hero Wars player's book states that Initiates gain access to the affinities, but not the Feats, of the cult that they are initiated to, and unlike a Devotee, will always use the Improvisational Modifier.

Now, flipping over to the section on improvisational modifiers, what modifier is usually used? Is it based on how closely the magic that the Initiate wishes to use resembles an act of their deity from Godtime? If that's so, why doesn't the modifier apply to Devotees? Or do Initiates suffer an additional modifier, in addition to what penalties a Devotee normally faces?

I'm under the general impression that the advantage of being an Initiate, aside from the lesser level of commitment, is also the ability to initiate or become a Devotee in other cults. Hero Cults seem to be on a lower level than the cults of the Gods or Great Gods, and it seems possible that one may be an Initiate of Orlanth and a Devotee of Bergren, as Mordren is. While clearly an Initiate of Orlanth, Mordren seems to be a devotee of his ancestor, and makes his Hero Cult devotion the focus of his time and energy.

Further, do Devotees that are created as beginning PC's get all the listed Feats under each affinity, at the level of their Magic Keyword (17)?

Finally, are Hero Wars mechanics questions appropriate for the Glorantha Digest, or should a new list be created for Hero Wars mechanics discussions?

Thanks for all your help!

Chris Bell