How Orlanth Rescued Lightning Boy

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:32:42 -0500

    I'm not aware of any versions of this myth, so I thought I'd offer one to the list.

    During the Great Darkness, Orlanth was out wandering, seeking his adventures. One day he met a stranger, tall, handsome and shining of face, carrying a bow.

"A good day to meet, " said Orlanth, greeting the man.
"It would be a better day had I not met you," growled the stranger.
"Friend, what sort of greeting is that for a stranger?"
"You are no stranger to me, Orlanth Sunfoe. I am Yernow, kin to Emperor
Yelm, who you slew."

"Well," said Orlanth,drawing his sword and unlimbering the Shield of
Arran "it's always good to know the names of those you battle."

    Before he could attack, however, Yernow took aim with his bow and let loose an arrow, which blazed with light as it flew. Although Orlanth was able to interpose his shield, still the arrow exploded when it struck, and the force of the blow threw Orlanth back a whole mile. Before he was barely on his feet, Yernow loosed another arrow, and then a third. Realizing that it was difficult to fight an enemy that he could not get close to, Orlanth chose to pretend to flee.

    When Yernow thought that Orlanth had fled, the Shining One laughed and called him a coward. He returned home to his hall in the sky, not realizing that Orlanth was following from a distance.

    Yernow's hall was made of blazing gold, with many guards about it, and Orlanth saw that it would be foolish to simply attack it. But Eurmal had taught Orlanth that sometimes there is value in pretending to be someone else, and so Orlanth disgiused himself as a serving maiden and entered the hall.

    There he saw Yernow reclining on a couch, surrounded by his warriors, laughing and drinking and boasting how he had singed Orlanth's hair and driven him off in fright.

"Great lord," said Orlanth, "surely you are a great warrior. But what
will you do when Orlanth Sunfoe attacks your hall? Will you have enough arrows to fend him off?'

"Come, pretty maid, there is nothing to fear from that. I have my slave
who makes me as many of these arrows as I can use. And even now, he works on something even better. If Orlanth dares to show his singed face here, he will regret it."

"I am glad to hear that you can keep us all safe from that brute," said
Orlanth. "But are you sure that your slave is safe?"

"Of course! He lives in my forge over there. See for yourself."
    Orlanth went and entered the forge. There, in the midst of it, stood a young boy, barely old enough to have his first whiskers, with fiery blonde hair and strong arms. He worked at the anvil, which he was chained to.

"Greeting," said Orlanth. "My master Yernow sent me to make sure that
you were comfortable."

"Hah!" laughed the boy. "As if my master carried one bit for my
comfort. He keeps me busy working for him without rest."

"Would you serve another master if you had the chance?"
"A dog would make a better master than he, and I would gladly serve a
dog if it meant escaping from him. If I found another master, I would give him a weapon that would earn my keep and more."

"What is your name?"
"They call me the Lightning Boy."
"Then come serve me, for I am better than a dog, and much better than
Yernow. I am Orlanth Stormfriend," said Orlanth, throwing off his disguise. With one blow, he shattered the chain that held Lightning Boy. With a few quick blows of his hammer, Lightning Boy finished the weapon he was working on and presented the new spear to Orlanth. It was a fine weapon, with a strong shaft and a head that threw out sparks whenever it was moved through the air.

"A well-made weapon, Lightning Boy. Now let us test its mettle."
    Orlanth blew open the doors of the hall and strode in, brandishing his new spear. "Greetings, Yernow Bigboaster! I've returned for another round of combat with you. Come now and see if you singe my hair again! I have a new toy to try out."

    Yernow sat up from his drinking in dismay. He reached for his bow, but Lightning Boy snatched it from him. Orlanth hurled the Lightning spear at Yernow, and as it flew, it scattered lightning, setting all the couches on fire. It struck Yernow square in the chest, pinning him to his couch and killing him.

    When they saw that their lord was dead, Yernow's drunken warriors fled, but Orlanth and Lightning Boy slew them all. Victorious, Orlanth returned to his stead, bearing Lightning Boy and the Spear as his proof of triumph. He allowed Lightning Boy to join the Storm Tribe, and that is why even today, Orlanth Stormfriend controls the secret of the Fire in the Sky.

    This myth is central to the Lightning Boy subcult, and is re-enacted whenever an Orlanthi joins it. It can also be performed as a heroquest by any member of the subcult. The stations are Defeat by Yernow, Sneaking into Yernow's hall, winning over Lightning Boy, and Slaying Yernow. The first stage usually requires being defeated by a Sky-rune cultist, and many Orlanthi are uncomfortable with this, so the quest is often performed without the first station, although it is undeniably more powerful to perform the whole quest. Some Orlanthi have attempted to substitute a Moon-rune cultist, but this produces unpredictable results.

    The quest is also sometimes performed after a family or clan has been the victim of a raid that led to captives being taken. By ritually identifying the raider as Yernow and one of the captives as Lightning Boy, the myth's power can be invoked to enhance the success of a counter-raid.

    As a practice run, the quest can teach the quester the Lightning spell. At more powerful levels, questers have returned with allied spirits and unusual weapons, among other effects.

Andrew E. Larsen