Why PraxPack

From: Lemens, Chris <CLemens_at_exchange.webmd.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:55:54 -0400

Alex Ferguson seems disgruntled at the idea of a PraxPack: "Prax is pretty well-covered in the 'basic' areas. You have to think hard these days for an actually new topic to address. But if HW Went Official On Its Ass, then basically what it'd be doing is republishing copious wads of material that already exists (though HWised, obviously). . . . Are we really not just a bunch of sad old grognards here, but are actually turning into hobbits, that are keenest to read books of things they know already? There's a whole wide lozenge out there, why be content simply to wear the deepest, smallest ruts of it a few more wheeltracks' deep?"

I see nothing wrong with this. As I've said privately elsewhere, I'm a darn good editor, but a truly lousy author. If there are others who are willing to re-publish Prax and who would not be working on new material, I do not see how republishing Prax hurts anyone. On the plus side, it provides new players (which is what this is all about, right?) more geographic scope and access to the most developed part of Glorantha. Further, if people actually buy them, then Issaries will have a little more cash to pump into truly new materials.

Besides, I am a grognard. And I have furry toes. And don't dis my book collection.

Chris Lemens