Catchup: eastern sun

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:33:42 +0200

Terra Incognita:

> Nils Weinander:
> >Vithelan Maluraya is not seen as a supreme deity. He is just
> >the servant deity in charge of the physical manifestation
> >of the sun. Since he has such a material position, he is
> >not an important god in the larger scheme.
>
> I only can few example in RW
> Amaterasu was Japanese Sun Goddess
> Mahavairocana is Prime One of Mandara of Mystical Buddhism: its name in
> Japanese and Chinese means "Athagata of Great Sun"
> Of course, Hinduism made Vishnu / Surya is the Charioteer even in modern RW.

I think you can express the Vithelan attitude to the sun like this. There are three levels of viewing the sun:

  1. The physical manifestation, that is Maluraya's realm. He is a servant deity, an important servant but still.
  2. The sun as symbol for other, still material, things like fire, courage, force. This is Karkal's realm. One epithet of the sun we toyed with is Karkal's Brazier.
  3. The sun as symbol for transcendence. This is the realm of Vith and Govmenranen. Another tentative sun epithet is Vith's Eye.

> maybe Solar Worship in East glorantha linked to Dream Magic...

I don't think so (any more). But:

> IMHO, Thella is close to Amaterasu in Japanese Mythology (Theya is
> Gloranthan Morning Star aka RW Lucifer or Venus?: why Theyalan call
> themselves as People of Dawn? Lightbringers Quest? and I guess Thella is
> originally changed style of this term: Hinduistic Ushas?)

I was about to say that Thella is no longer a Theya cognate, but the Ushas parallell is quite interesting. This I have to think on.

Terra Incognita again, in anoher message:

>Gloranthan Cults of Sun has changed the distribution of these since RQ3
>Edition: Gods of Glorantha teached Solar Influence distributed throughout
>East Vithela and Northern Pamaltela, but this condition was changed recent
>Greggery of Missing Lands and Vithelan Mythology.

I have been thinking that there might be a rationale for at least the east: while there isn't exactly solar worship in the East Isles, the sky is seen as the home of the gods. So, while not solar, the Vithelan gods are at least sky-oriented.

> My interest to Eastern Attitude of Celestial Balls and Orbits
> Moon before Historical Age (Japanese Tsukuyomi?)
> Green, Yellow, Purple? IIRC, Sandy Petersen hinted many Moons in his older
> documentation.

Vithelan views of the moon(s) are open for speculation. This needs to be explored.

> >The Ratuki are not hsunchen, but they can shapechange to
> >sharks.
>
> I am still reading past logs of your mails.. about East. What is Origin of
> Ratuki?

When an alliance of the East Isles fought against an alliance of Waertagi and Vormain, the island Tamanjary was sunk by monsters summoned from the depth of the sea by the Waertagi and its goddess Tomikaratra killed by Vormaini magic. The remaining Tamanjaryans became seafaring nomads who became worshipppers of the shark god Ratuk who was Tomikaratra's lover and their war god.

> What is Characteristic of Hsunchen?

They have the same kind of soul as their totem animal. A hsunchen can be reborn as either human or animal.

> And if I can apply my idea to this theme, some civilised Hsunchen in East
> hate their beast Origin and want to have more access to Man Rune,

The mystically inclied would probably express it that these hsunchen have realized the error of their material ways.

> maybe
> Mysticism is primarily human Domain.

Human and above, there are gods who are mystics as well. But you are probably right that a mystic regards a hsunchen as somewhat below human on the consciousness scale.

> >I currently thikn the Waking Magicians were a mystic reaction
> >to the early dream magicians. The exact nature and otherworldly
> >placement of the dream world is currently being explored. The
> >result is anyone's guess so far...
>
> So, what is this? I want only some hints about this idea.

The important part of my reasoning here is that the dream world is accessible from all three otherworlds (in the Hero Wars division) since all people dream.

> And I think you made POV application to Dream Magician Side and Avanapdur
> the "Deceiver" won in their Mythology.

I may be misunderstanding you here, but in the dream magicians' eyes Thella won, making the dream world safe to explore (but you can still fall to the temptation of abusing dream magic, which means going over to Avanapdur.

> >I don't think there is an actual "mystic plane". The mystic goal
> >is Liberation, a non-realm (or perhaps neither a realm nor a
> >non-realm).
>
> Greg Stafford introduced Durap Apdur (Durapdur) as One of List Mystical
> Plane in HW site.

Yes indeed, what I mean is that Durapdur is not an otherworldly realm. It's a non-realm or possibly neither a realm nor a non-realm. It's not a place you can go to and come back from, like the spirit world, the gods world or the sorcery world though.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com