Catchup: avatars

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:33:56 +0200

Alex:

> > And what is the problem with Yelm/Antirius in this respect?
>
> Because of Avivath -- is he the 'avatar' of a 'transcendent' being?

I see. Here the word avatar is actually used in GRoY (p 43). With the definition I tried to make, I think he is not an avatar though. Then again, Antirius might be an avatar of Yelm...

> > Hmm, quite an interesting issue. I'd say the effects are very
> > similar, but the method differs: heroforming is initiated by
> > the devotee, an avatar is sent by the deity. So, I think you
> > can say that the resulting entities are indistinguishable, but
> > they got there from opposite directions.
>
> Or are being looked at from different ends of the telescope, at
> least. Though the 'details' of the method are doubtless different,
> at least. (Or 'technique' as opposed to 'method', as we may or may
> not have previously agreed to say.)

Again with an eye on the Red Emperor debate, I think that if a mortal takes on aspects of a deity it's a case of heroforming, while a god who forms a body out of whole cloth makes an avatar.

> Different points of view on the same thing, if you ask me. Who
> says frantic politicking can't be the means of incarnation of an
> avatar?

If the politicking prompts the deity to create the avatar, sure, but as per above I'd call it more heroforming-like if a mortal with a past personal history provides the body and more avatarlike  if the body is created from moon stuff and steps out of cave.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com