Praxpak redux

From: Danny Mr <ad236_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 10:56:51 +0100

>>The thing that's got to be borne in mind is that we are grognards but if
HW
>>does sell to people who have little/no previous knowledge of Glorantha
then
>>why shouldn't Praxpak come out? From a purely business point of view it
>>makes sense - the material's already there, afterall, so it would be a
>>relatively simple job to convert and publish compared to creating
something
>>new. P'raps Praxpak would be best as a stop gap to fill a break in the
>>publishing line?
>
>Speaking from the purely business side of things. It actually doesn't make
>sense. It really turns out that it is much faster and less expensive to
>just write new material than to translate/merge/scrape together/gather
>existing material.

How come? Nils, Ian et al have already said they'd compile it, Chris that he'd edit it. How can that be more expensive than having something write from new? In fact it could cost Issaries zero if (Nils, Ian et all) someone printed it under licence. I also fail to see how it would be quicker to write from scratch. I'd like to see a competition between Kralorela pack and Prax pack to see which one gets to completion first.

>If, however, sales are being made in substantial part to old-timers...
(snip)

Correct, with the difficulty being working out the demographics of buyers. Obviously old RQers will be a %age of the buyers, but how big a %age is going to be difficult to gauge. And, of course, if the main %age is newbies - and that is what Issaries is hoping for I assume - then they won't be complaining about their 5th copy of Kyger Litor because they never got the earlier books. None of the people in my local university roleplaying group have ever heard of any of the early RQ supplements.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #675