Supernaturally Transmitted Diseases

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 23:25:14 +1000

Nick gets cheeky :) ...

Me:
> > Orlanth Imprisoned? Lunar Clap Trap!

'Im:
> So *that's* how we caught him! (I'm surprised he fell for it, but those
> Inspirations can be very enticing... :-)

If you take the idea of a deity as a magical neural net (web) a distributed network with emergent properties (and isn't this what the baboons have been saying all along?) then the idea of a magical "virus" or supernaturally transmitted disease actually makes a lot of sense. Of course memes affect the myth pool in this way on any day of the week. But more specifically, it's probably quite possible for your typical deranged Lunar priesthood or secret society to cook up a magical rite or idea or heroquest field condition that can be transmitted when someone's kilt is raised (so to speak) and happily changes worship, magic or understanding in some subtle yet significant way, ultimately affecting the diety through his or her worshippers. This could be what the White Moonies are doing (financed of course by ancient Darra Happan hazia comglomerates) with their propaganda about Orlanth and Nysalora being half-brother and sister.

What's that, Its called 'Illumination'? Oh. I'd always thought it was called Godlearner megatwaddle.

Mystics of the Lozenge unite! You're already one anyway.

John